Sunday, April 02, 2006

I can see, hear and smell you

All my friends are virtual. I project them from my phone and there they are in my living room. Sometimes I drink and have dinner with old friends from college by projecting their image into my dining room. I love this new technology. Holographic Voice Video Imaging has really changed the way I perceive the worlds.

The last H.V.V.I. device to come out had an advanced upgrade. We can now smell what we see and hear. There are over two hundred scent variations that can be mixed to fit any visual or auditory occasion. Sometimes we have our friends over from Portland, some 3000 miles away for dinner. Very rarely are we eating the same meal, but with a little planning the same recipe can be eaten on both distant ends.

This technology has really taken our idea of community to a new level. I feel as if my friends are really sitting next to me. It's the next best thing to having flesh and bone friends. I've heard stories recently of some tribes in the Antarctic that have never met anyone from the outside world yet have received Ivy League college degrees through H.V.V.I. They can go to class and see, hear and smell the same input that students can that are actually there.

Being there has become overrated. Attendance at athletic events has decreased fifty percent in the last year. You can now be anywhere you want and be with anyone you want from the comfort of your own home. Who would argue that physical contact or physical experience is any better? H.V.V.I. is now said to have helped correct global warming as gasoline emissions have been cut drastically with the advent of this new technology.

My life has really changed dramatically. I had felt an absence in the last couple of decades with the Internet becoming my main means of communication between friends and family. Now we feel as if we are sitting right next to each other. Thank you technology. Thank you Internet. Thank you for giving me my friends back. I knew it was only a matter of time before technology and community would unite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home