Thursday, March 30, 2006

thinning out the herd

I’ve never been popular. I walked by all the kids
in the hall at school. The jocks. The preps. The alternatives.
The surfers. The nerds. I saw them all and they saw me, but I just
kept on walking.

I have looked for a sense of community my whole life. Belonging.
How is this sense of community accomplished?
The groups begin to select who they want in the group.
Who is a valid part of the group? Who has something to add to the group?

A group is comprised of those who have common goals
and vision. To a teenager it might be seen as similar clothing
or taste in music. To a soldier it might be seen as similar
career goals or places of origin.

Community is what you make of it. A community can be physical,
mental, or virtual. Or a mix of all three. I am engaged in the process
of inventing my community. To surround myself with like minds. To
surround myself with inspiration.

There must come a time in our lives when we select from the population our own group. Where we define ourselves by the company we keep. If you are not with me on this journey, you are not against me. But you are not one of me. You define yourself as such. I see you as such.

Delete function in progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home